Continuing its attack on the government on the alleged build up by the Chinese Army in Doklam, the Congress on Thursday said the statement issued by the Ministry of external affairs did not say a word about the alleged construction by Chinese Army as depicted in the satellite imagery.
In a statement here, AICC media incharge Randeep Surjewala asked the government to be specific on whether the Chinese had constructed concrete posts,seven helipads, new trenches and placed several dozen armoured vehicles in Doklam.
‘The MEA Statement does not say a word about the alleged construction by Chinese Army as depicted in satellite imagery. Please be specific if the Chinese have constructed concrete posts,seven helipads, new trenches and placed several dozen armoured vehicles in Doklam,’Mr Surjewala said.
After the Congress, citing media reports and satellite imagery, alleged that there has been a Chinese build up on the Doklam plateau, the external affairs ministry, in a statement, said,
“Our attention has been drawn to some reports that question the accuracy of the position stated by the Government in respect to the situation in Doklam.
It may be recalled that last year, a face-off situation that had arisen in the Doklam region, was resolved following diplomatic discussions between India and China, based on which both sides arrived at an understanding for the disengagement of their border personnel at the face-off site.
Subsequently, in response to repeated questions about any change in the status quo at the face-off site, Government had stated that there was no basis for such imputations. Government would once again reiterate that the status quo at the face-off site has not been altered. Any suggestion to the contrary is inaccurate and mischievous.”
The Congress had earlier on the day charged the NDA government of turning a blind eye to the fresh Chinese build up on the Doklam plateau and asked the government to clarify on media reports in this regard.