The United States administration on Thursday confirmed that an official invitation has been extended to US President Donald Trump to be the the chief guest at next year’s Republic Day celebrations on January 26, 2019.
“I know that the invitation has been extended but I don’t believe a final decision has been made,” White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said in reply to a question.
“I do know that both Defence Secretary James Matis and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will be travelling to India next month and will begin the dialogue and process and potential discussion for a presidential visit later in the year,” said Sanders during a regular press interaction.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi had extended an invitation to President Trump to visit India during his trip to Washington last year.
US Defence Secretary James Matis and Secretary of State Pompeo will be in New Delhi on September 6 for the first 2+2 Dialogue with their counterparts Nirmala Sitharaman and Sushma Swaraj.
The issues related to US sanctions on Iran as well as Russia and President Trump’s likely visit to India are expected to figure at the 2+D Dialogue.